Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Book Review

Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Lindsay, Jeff, 9780307473707


   http://www.betterworldbooks.co.uk/darkly-dreaming-dexter-id-0307473708.aspx
     Darkly Dreaming Dexter is one of my favorite books. This book that inspired the TV series “Dexter” is about a man, Dexter Morgan who kills bad people, do to his childhood past. Now it might sound a little strange, that someone would be interested in that kind of book, but it is really thrilling to know what is inside of a serial killer’s mind. As  you read the book you feel like you are Dexter’s mind. He thinks inside his mind then outside of his mind. He tells his side of the story then the investigator of the crime scene. In the beginning he say’s “I had been waiting and watching the priest for five weeks now. The Need had been prickling and teasing and prodding at me to find one, find the next, find this priest, for three weeks I had known he was it, he was next, we belonged to the Dark passenger, he and I together. And  that three weeks  I had spent fighting the pressure, the growing, Need, rising in me like a great wave that roars up and over the beach and does not recede, only swells more with every tick of the bright night’s clock.” (Lindsay,2004)

  You can see why this book intrigues me, just that one quote or thought that he was thinking just keeps me on edge. As I read Dexter can get the sense that he his a good person. Dexter doesn’t ask for much. The only thing he wanted is to keep the good from the bad. In his way he thinks he is doing a “good deed”  and I agree with that because if someone were to murder some I loved I would want justice. Not saying that I would want them murdered but why should they get to live while my loved one is no longer living? Now the book  continues to unravel and you try to get the gist of Dexter and why he has the urge to murder. Calling it his Dark passenger. Unless you have seen the show you don’t know understand why he kills until the end of the book. It takes place in this storage lot where Dexter is looking for his sister Deborah. You soon find out that Dexter was adopted when he was three because of his past. When Dexter was only 3 years old his mother was murdered in the same storage lot. A cop Harry Morgan had adopted him and taught Dexter everything he needed to know that he could  feed is hunger for blood and still live in a human society. Well once Dexter finds where Deb is since she was kidnapped by this other serial killer you find out that it is Dexter’s real biological brother Brain. Brain was just as “messed” up as Dexter was. He liked killing people but Brain killed innocents. Brain had Deb on the table wrapped in plastic and he wanted Dexter to kill her. He couldn’t he loved Deborah so much that he killed his brother instead.

  In my opinion this book was amazingly written. It had parts that made me think and giggle a bit with Jeff Lindsay’s dark humor. I can understand if someone liked the show better then the book, such as I and I can see why someone would have liked the book more than the show. It all depends on different point of views. However, I suggest reading the book or watching the show before judging it. You never know you could end up loving the show like  have.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. This book seems pretty good. It would be a book I would read, because I like putting myself in the story. To see how they feel about what is going on in the story. :)I agree with your statemaent about not judging the book or the show if you have never seen it. How would you know if you do not like it or. Like if your friend does not like does not mean you are not going to like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. man,this book seems intresting to read, id love too look into it. but yeah, the book is usually better then the movies, because the book can have more graphic details then a movie can. but i like it and you're opinion to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks. the cool thing was that yesterday i watched a dodged commercial and the guy who does the voice over is Micheal C. Hall the guy who plays Dexter. I love that commercial. But Im glad that you guys agree with me it shows that women can like really dark things like men can.

    ReplyDelete